Caledonian Chipmunks

Author Topic: Forum Admin support  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
    • http://www.caledonianchipmunks.co.uk
Forum Admin support
« on: Thursday August 29, 2013, 12:47:47 UTC »
Hi all,

As you may know, I run this forum single handedly and pay for the server etc out of my own pocket to avoid littering the forum with adverts and popups. As i seem to become increasingly more busy, it is proving more difficult to find the time to wade through membership applications et all, checking them against known spammer databases and keeping on top of the day to day running of the forum. 

I wonder if any of you avid members would be interested in helping out in anyway to share the admin burden as a site administrator?  It would help me and the forum so that applications don't get lost, missed, wait for long periods of time before being approved.

I would also welcome ideas to help keep the forum going as a free service to the Chipmunk community.  The current server is almost 3/4 full already with the size of the forum and membership database.  If it keeps growing then it will become more expensive to host.  Would members be averse to selected adverts appearing on the site to help fund any increase required in the hosting of it or are there any suggestions of an alternative way to keep this forum going if it is of use still?

I would welcome your thoughts!

Regards,
Duncan
Caledonian Chipmunks Forum Admin

Offline rjtjrt

Re: Forum Admin support
« Reply #1 on: Thursday August 29, 2013, 12:58:02 UTC »
Duncan

I would have no objection to adverts, or alternatively a subscription, or even a combination of the two.

Also, thanks for all the hard work and carrying the financial cost.
I am embarrassed to admit, I never thought about what went on in the background to produce and sustain this service.

John

Offline speedbird1

« Reply #2 on: Thursday August 29, 2013, 15:02:13 UTC »
Hi Duncan,

I too was in the same boat as John and had not thought beyond the screen what went on behind the scenes.

I would have no objection at all as this site is the only real resource that the Chipmunk clan has for information, and chat, with the DHC-1 Club being dead, dying, or at least dormant.

Victoria Secret add's may go down well!!!!! Sorry couldn't resist!!!

Regards,

Speedbird 1.

Offline Dick Gower

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday December 29, 2015, 13:29:23 UTC »
How is the forum traveling now Duncan?
It is such a valuable resource it would be a rewal pity to lose it.
Best wishes for 2016.

Dick
Dick Gower
Melbourne,
Australia.

Offline WB650 Skylark

« Reply #4 on: Thursday February 25, 2016, 03:33:21 UTC »
Duncan,
As a very new member I can confirm that getting approved can takes some patience and effort but very pleased to be onboard now. Thank you for all your behind the scenes work and financial support, supporting this site through advertising seems reasonable to me and especially if it was Chipmunk or aviation related.
Martyn Acreman

Offline rjtjrt

« Reply #5 on: Thursday February 25, 2016, 03:46:47 UTC »
Duncan
I realise this may be controversial, but I have wondered why Caledonian Chipmunks couldn't offer to add a section for other aircraft with similar issues. I have in mind some way of getting the Stampe Club to use this message board, and provide a financial contribution at same time, for mutual benefit. Stampe's that use Gipsy Major 10 have similar issues to Chipmunk in engine and somewhere that members of Stampe Club can ask questions and get replies from other Stampe (or Gipsy Major owners) is sorely needed by Stampe Club members (Stampe Club have a very limited web site at present).
My feeling is a combined use of this web site would be financially beneficial to Caledonian Chipmunks, and also benefit in other ways.
This may be controversial with Chipmunk crowd.
I do have an ulterior motive - I have a lot of questions about Stampe renovation and have difficulty in reaching Stampe owners and experts.
John

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday March 01, 2016, 20:26:32 UTC »
Hi John,

I wouldn't have any objection in principle, but depending on the subscription base that it attracts it would probably push things into me requiring to recoup at least some of the running costs and finding people to help with the never ending task of sifting genuine registrations from spam every day.  That said, if it would be of use then I see no other reason not to do it; perhaps a name change would be required?

Cheers,
Duncan

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday March 01, 2016, 20:37:41 UTC »
Duncan,
As a very new member I can confirm that getting approved can takes some patience and effort but very pleased to be onboard now.

Martyn,

Welcome aboard!  Yes, unfortunately as the burden of sifting through the hundreds of registrations a day to find the few genuine ones falls to me alone, sometimes the day job gets in the way!

Cheers,
Duncan

Offline rjtjrt

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday March 02, 2016, 00:52:17 UTC »
Duncan
I have sent your kind response to the secretary at Stampe Club by email.
I have no official function in this.
I hope something can be worked out, and will let you know of any response I receive.
Regards
John

Copyright © Caledonian Chipmunks