Caledonian Chipmunks

Author Topic: i need help on engine numbers  (Read 239 times)

Offline scotty335

i need help on engine numbers
« on: Monday July 31, 2017, 12:52:24 UTC »
how do you find the history of the engine? I was told my engine was 10 mk1. but I have stripped the paint off around the front of the case, and found it has a stamp mark of gipsy major v11. but this has the same modd's as the gipsy major 1c. but to add more confusion it looks like mk8, and the case number has 4403 on the front, and pz369 on the front of the engine mounts. can somebody help!

Offline speedbird1

Re: i need help on engine numbers
« Reply #1 on: Monday July 31, 2017, 14:22:17 UTC »
Scotty,
Your engine log book should show all the engine details and the data plate on the front RH side should match that. Your engineer would have to use those to certify your engine/aircraft??
The numbers you are quoting would appear to be casting numbers and an engine is made up of several castings.
You appear to live in Hampshire and Deltair, the engine certificate holder, are also in Hampshire so a call to them may reveal all that you need??
Speedbird 1.

Offline scotty335

« Reply #2 on: Thursday August 03, 2017, 12:44:34 UTC »

hi speedbird1,

the engine was brought on eBay, and had been robbed of the serviceable parts. I have sent emails to Deltair, but they do not seam happy to help.
I can only put down to, I wanted to rebuild as a ground running unit only.
this engine will not be going back into a airworthy aircraft, but I hope to put it into a taxi able aircraft.

Offline speedbird1

« Reply #3 on: Thursday August 03, 2017, 15:11:40 UTC »
Hi Scotty,
The dreaded E-Bay collection of parts!! Once Deltair heard what you wanted to do with it the prospect of making any money went out the window!!
How about a picture and perhaps we can help. send it to me at speedbird1@bresnan.net and lets see if I can help. But, there should be folks around there that could identify it for you.
Speedbird 1

Copyright © Caledonian Chipmunks