Caledonian Chipmunks

Author Topic: Rotax Starter Overhaul  (Read 305 times)

Offline WB650 Skylark

Rotax Starter Overhaul
« on: Wednesday September 06, 2017, 20:22:19 UTC »
Looking for suggestions. I have recently completed a top overhaul on the GM and now the Rotax starter is struggling to turn the engine even though the battery is fully charged. I am thinking it may be time to pull the starter off and get it overhauled (info from the plate on the starter:- Rotax, London, Eng., Type C0225 24 volt, CW rotation, ser No. 1575.
Any suggestions on who would overhaul the starter in the US? is it worth stripping down, cleaning and replacing brushes first to see if it fixes the problem and I recall someone telling me there is a spring tension adjustment, although it seems to engage ok and gives a 1/4 turn then stalls, so I think its on the electrical side and not mechanical.
Appreciate any help
Thanks,
WB650 Skylark

Offline Tim Watson

Re: Rotax Starter Overhaul
« Reply #1 on: Thursday September 07, 2017, 08:58:47 UTC »
If it's of any help, there's a parts catalogue here:

https://www.scribd.com/document/192607559/ROTAX-Starter-Information

Struggling to rotate?  Bearings perhaps?

Also worth checking that the electrical connections are all resistance-free. And the same for the starter relay (if your Chipmunk is fitted with one) - corroded contacts in the relay would limit the voltage available at the starter motor.

Offline speedbird1

« Reply #2 on: Thursday September 07, 2017, 14:32:58 UTC »
Not in the US but close by is SIL Industries in BC, Canada.
They have been known to overhaul strange British electrical devices including BTH mags and Rotax generators. Probably not cheap, but then nothing is these days regarding a Chipmunk.
Speedbird 1.

Offline scchippie

« Reply #3 on: Friday September 08, 2017, 17:49:12 UTC »
 I had them rebuild my Rotax starter. It was if I had a brand new unit. It spins the prop almost as if I could taxi on it. I definitely recommend contacting them.

Good Luck
Dan

Offline WB650 Skylark

« Reply #4 on: Monday September 18, 2017, 00:40:11 UTC »
Thanks to everyone for the advice, I took the starter off (no small task!) blew it out disassembled the brushes cleaned everything with MEK and re seated the bushes and re-assembled. Now the starter is turning over great and the strongest its been since I have owned the plane. I bought four new brushes from Skytrade but didn't need them this time, I'll keep them as spares for the future.
Thanks,
WB650 Skylark

Offline speedbird1

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday September 19, 2017, 16:17:35 UTC »
While you are in the mood, you might think about taking the generator off and giving it the same treatment??  The generator does not have a proper seal and oil mist gets back in the works so a good wash out does wonders.
Dave Watson has the brushes for the generator in California. (Splitpin Engineering)  The brushes have a good wear history, but if in doubt change them!!

Speedbird 1.

Offline WB650 Skylark

« Reply #6 on: Friday September 22, 2017, 17:43:30 UTC »
Thanks Speedbird1, I actually had the generator off to get at the starter! should have cleaned it up but at least the generator is easier to take off (mechanically that is), I'll get it off soon and clean it up (never short of work when you own a Chipmunk) and I actually have a spare generator :-)
WB650 Skylark

Offline Dick Gower

« Reply #7 on: Monday October 30, 2017, 00:23:59 UTC »
One important item to inspect when you have the starter removed is the small hex nut in the middle of the dog.  It has a LH thread.  The nut and bolt wear to the point where the nut drops off and, falls into the timing gears and, as it happened to a friend of mine, seizes the engine. More details if you PM.
Dick Gower
Melbourne,
Australia.

Copyright © Caledonian Chipmunks