Caledonian Chipmunks

Author Topic: Oil's  (Read 809 times)

Offline Tezza

Oil's
« on: Saturday February 03, 2018, 18:08:31 UTC »
Has anyone used Total D100 as opposed to Aeroshell W100? 

Are there any opinions on performance or are they very comparable ?

Offline speedbird1

Re: Oil's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday February 03, 2018, 21:07:54 UTC »
Not heard of it here in the Western Colony, but I suspect the "D" may stand for detergent and therefore not really good for a GM.
I stand to be corrected??
Speedbird 1.

Offline yakxx

« Reply #2 on: Sunday February 04, 2018, 23:36:43 UTC »
Oils again .... I’m sure I will be put in my place because every mechanic had his / her own idea and they are adamant they are right
All I can say is I have used both of those Ashlee’s oils D100 and W 100 with the same results ...they are to me the same ...
I use straight 100 for the first 50 hours and then go to D or W.
I have also tried multi grade .... that also worked fine for me .... no more or less power or leaks or perished rubbers etc etc

Just my experience..... W and D are I believe the same thing

Offline Bob

« Reply #3 on: Monday February 05, 2018, 10:51:28 UTC »
http://catalog.lubricants.total.com/en/products/112/AERO-D-100       and lots of useful info here ; https://www.shell.com/business-customers/aviation/aeroshell/knowledge-centre.html

The Shuttleworth Collection went to W100 Plus after a trial because it seems to protect low utilisation engines better.

Offline buchan

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday February 06, 2018, 03:08:46 UTC »
I would certainly vote for W100 Plus.  The additives are designed for Lycoming engines with the camshaft up top where keeping oil on it is harder and excessive water can happen on start up.  It should help in any engine that sits for any period of time.

Don

Offline john henderson

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday February 07, 2018, 17:11:22 UTC »
We have been using W100 plus for years now, so far so good!
john h

Offline speedbird1

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday February 07, 2018, 20:22:54 UTC »
I think the last long term tests of the various oils was last done in the 1950's as to GM applicability, and the W oils back then were very detergent and now maybe?? not be so, but with no long term extensive testing we are on our own.
Of course back then additives other than STP and Marvel Mystery Oil had not been invented.
Speedbird1.

Offline Dick Gower

« Reply #7 on: Saturday March 10, 2018, 21:43:49 UTC »
The common wisdom at one time was that if the engine had spent most of the TBO on straight oil then changing to detergent caused blockage of oil ways due to the detergent effect bringing a lot of the sludge into suspension.  A well known Gipsy overhauler here in Oz has this view.
On the other hand, I have heard that detergent oils in Chipmunks result in low oil temperatures.
There is another opinion that detergent or ashless dispersent oils are a better choice for the higher temperatures in the rocker boxes.
Dick Gower
Melbourne,
Australia.

Copyright © Caledonian Chipmunks