Caledonian Chipmunks

Author Topic: Ignition points  (Read 131 times)

Offline yakxx

Ignition points
« on: Friday March 09, 2018, 20:52:51 UTC »
I have found the mags to be very trouble free over 20 years of flying but I do overhaul them regularly..and keep the points super clean but of course we have to 'dress' them from time to time....I hear sometimes its  OK to 'File' or use fine emory cloth but some say they are 'coated' and filing will only damage them...the problem is we can't get them anymore so what to do ?....
OK to dress or not ...and preferred method ?

thoughts please

Offline Bob

Re: Ignition points
« Reply #1 on: Saturday March 10, 2018, 14:05:24 UTC »
I dont touch them, but maybe a wipe with an MEK damped cloth?  Have a look here;

Offline Dick Gower

« Reply #2 on: Saturday March 10, 2018, 21:28:31 UTC »
I agree Bob.  The platinum pellet that is braised on to the steel base is extremely thin and will not survive much removal.  Secondly, it is difficult to keep the face square to the axis so the points do not meet parallel which creates more problems.  A raised build up of material is best removed with an oil stone but it is easy to over do it.
I suggest we save the stationary contact screws in case somebody gets brave enough to devise a salvage scheme to re-pellet the face.  It would be technically a repair and not manufacture so therefore easier to get approval.
The moving contacts are riveted so not salvageable.
Dick Gower

Offline yakxx

« Reply #3 on: Sunday March 11, 2018, 10:25:39 UTC »
I must admit I tend to use very fine oil soaked emory cloth to gently face them and dont seem to have many  problems....well not for some time.....That Irish Mag company sound interesting ....
nowadays one can buy a pair of points (Just) but the cost is 300....thats just the two points....not the complete assembly....but supply is about to dry up speaking to the suppliers so yes it would be great if they could be re plated somehow.....

Offline qe45 - (Skytrade)

• Unpaid Commercial Trader
« Reply #4 on: Thursday March 15, 2018, 15:00:53 UTC »
Skytrade have plenty of the moving point & spring assys. But yes the screw point is going to be an issue in the near future.

Copyright © Caledonian Chipmunks