Caledonian Chipmunks

Author Topic: Replacement Starter Relay/Solenoid  (Read 56 times)

Offline WB650 Skylark

Replacement Starter Relay/Solenoid
« on: Friday August 10, 2018, 04:16:25 UTC »
I am planning to change out the starter relay/solenoid on my chipmunk which is fitted with the Type C.0225 24V 3-jaw starter motor. Looking through the parts list it shows two possibilities 5CW/4621 Relay, Type J and 5CW/6452 Relay, Type Q not sure which is the correct one for my starter and what the difference is.

Also wondering if I can just use an intermittent duty 24V starter solenoid such as SKY-TEC STS-S24 Starter Solenoid thinking a brand new unit is probably better than trying to find NOS of the origonal.
My aircraft is registered Experimental in the USA.

Appreciate any advice
Thanks,
WB650 Skylark

Offline Bob

Re: Replacement Starter Relay/Solenoid
« Reply #1 on: Friday August 10, 2018, 22:08:27 UTC »
I think the SKY-TEC STS-S24 would work, I'll check our's tomorrow ( UK time ) and see what we have.

Offline WB650 Skylark

« Reply #2 on: Sunday August 12, 2018, 14:22:59 UTC »
I put the Sky Tec 24 V starter solenoid on along with a freshly overhauled (SIL Industries) Starter and new push switch and new switch circuit wiring connected to the 24V supply. The prior starter solenoid was activated through the switch to a ground, not the original circuit per the manual. Anyway happy ending (for now), everything works magnificently, I hope to finally get my intermittent starter issues behind me.
When SIL overhauled my starter they pointed out and replaced the LH nut that holds the dog on mine was badly worn, good advice to replace this from Dick Gower earlier.

My next project is replacing the rubber donuts in the main landing gear, a little apprehensive about starting this one

Thanks,
WB650 Skylark

Offline speedbird1

« Reply #3 on: Monday August 13, 2018, 04:18:32 UTC »
Hi Skylark,

Changing the donuts is not really difficult.  Just remember that the bottom end is held in by bronze plugs that are under a worm drive (Jubile??) clip and uses a 4ba thread inserted to pull them out.

The rest is just how much corrosion is holding it together and then make sure you shake the donuts up in a bag of graphite powder and remember the order the blocks and spacer discs have to go back??  The graphite will change your complexion!!!

To get the leg apart can be a challenge using suitable percussion instruments!! And even use of a deep freeze to shrink some of the parts, when her at home is not watching.

There is also an AD that requires a sample be taken from the top of the shiny part of the leg and analyzed to see what type of steel the shiny bit is made of. A cheap UK contractor made a lot of them of the wrong stuff that is too soft. You will not find anyone in the colony that has a clue what DTD numbers are.  Mine went to the UK.

Speedbird 1

Copyright © Caledonian Chipmunks