Caledonian Chipmunks

Author Topic: WP857 and UWAS  (Read 8224 times)

gw4frx

WP857 and UWAS
« on: Sunday October 29, 2006, 10:36:00 UTC »
I've just come across this excellent forum, which reminds me of happy days learning to fly with UWAS in 73-74. My logbook suggests that in January 1973 we had WK553, WP899, WZ846 and WZ862, the latter being my 'chariot' for Ex 14 in Mar 73. We seem to have acquired WP857 early in 1974, and I see I flew a navex in her on 20 Feb. I left UWAS in Jul 74 and my last trip in 857 was a solo navex on 2 Jul. This would have been from summer camp at Wyton.

WZ862 subsequently had what must have been an interesting career with BRIXMIS in Berlin. WP899 became G-BCSB and I had the misfortune to see her crash at Cosford in March 2000 when she was with the Wrekin Gliding Club. I didn't know then that 'Sierra Bravo' was my erstwhile mount from UWAS days. I don't know what happened to the two others.

Hope these ramblings aren't too tedious, and best wishes to any ex-UWAS members. I'm still flying with 633 VGS at Cosford.    

John

DGH

WP857 and UWAS
« Reply #1 on: Sunday October 29, 2006, 17:24:11 UTC »
Hello John thanks for sharing you're memories.

WK553 is now in the States with Harley Woodworth

WZ846 is with 2427 ATC at Biggin Hill, check this link http://www.2427online.com/?page=267

WZ862 is flying in South Africa as ZS-OIS, check this link for photo http://www.demobbed.org.uk/images/wz862.jpg

Hope you find this interesting.

Dave

gw4frx

WP857 and UWAS
« Reply #2 on: Sunday October 29, 2006, 22:00:39 UTC »
>Hope you find this interesting.<

Very much so; many thanks. Good to hear that both 553 and 862 survived. I've been looking for a nice picture of 862 in her 1973 scheme for a long time but haven't yet managed to find one.

Best of luck with 857.

John

Offline Rod Blievers

WP857 and UWAS
« Reply #3 on: Monday October 30, 2006, 05:43:59 UTC »
John:

A slightly OT question please. Do you recall any UWAS Chipmunks painted in the first permutation of the Red/White/Lt Grey colur scheme and also wearing the UWAS badge? This combination (in any UAS) seems to have been extremely rare...

Thanks,

Rod.

chipmunkflyer

WP857 and UWAS
« Reply #4 on: Monday October 30, 2006, 22:18:12 UTC »
Quote from: gw4frx
>Hope you find this interesting.<

Very much so; many thanks. Good to hear that both 553 and 862 survived. I've been looking for a nice picture of 862 in her 1973 scheme for a long time but haven't yet managed to find one.

Best of luck with 857.

John

John,

I have one or two shots of '862 with UWAS but am having problems loading the image .... let me have your address or some suggestions in loading photos to the mail.

In reply to Rod Blievers query about the UAS red/white scheme very few appeared in these colours as it was realised by late 1973 that the Bulldog would be replacing the Chipmunk.

gw4frx

WP857 and UWAS
« Reply #5 on: Monday October 30, 2006, 22:24:04 UTC »
>A slightly OT question please. Do you recall any UWAS Chipmunks painted in the first permutation of the Red/White/Lt Grey colur scheme and also wearing the UWAS badge? This combination (in any UAS) seems to have been extremely rare... <

Three of our aircraft were in all-over grey and the fourth (862) was in the red/white/grey Training Command scheme. None of them carried the UWAS crest but the grey ones all featured three small green triangles on the upper fin which was supposedly the then Plaid Cymru badge! At least one (553) also had the 'owner's' name below the cockpit, this being Flt Lt P D Skinner who was the then CFI. I can't recall what scheme 857 was in when we acquired her but I believe she was also grey.

John

gw4frx

WP857 and UWAS
« Reply #6 on: Monday October 30, 2006, 22:28:55 UTC »
>I have one or two shots of '862 with UWAS but am having problems loading the image .... let me have your address or some suggestions in loading photos to the mail.<

I'm afraid I'm not the world's most computer-literate person, but if all else fails I'd be extremely grateful for a copy to john@crew-green.com.

I seem to have (cough) 'retained' my FRCs from that era and also 'happen to have' a copy of the aircrew manual. If either are of any interest to anyone, I'll be very happy to scan or copy as required.

John

Offline Duncan

• Pilot
  • Administrator
    • http://www.caledonianchipmunks.co.uk
WP857 and UWAS
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday October 31, 2006, 12:10:54 UTC »
Hi John,

As you may see from the Gallery on the main site, and in the photography section here, WP857 retains it's UAS Red/White and Grey colour scheme.  This is the early scheme you speak of with the red leading edges as opposed to the later "wingtips only".

A little look at the background to 857 shows she first appeared in her present guise as "24" on 15/9/69 on moving to PFTS, Church Fenton from 1 FTS at Linton on Ouse.  I understand from fellow forum member (Speechless Two who flew her at Linton and again recently at Perth!), that she was in the Silver and Yellow scheme whilst at 1 FTS.

857 retained this scheme until circa 1970/71 when PFTS became 2 FTS.  It was at that time that her present paint scheme would have been applied.

She remained at Church Fenton until 29/8/73, when she moved to 6 AEF at Abingdon, before being taken on charge by UWAS on 8/2/74.  Remaining at St Athan for only 8 months, she was then moved to Liverpool UAS at Woodvale on 16/10/74.

It is great to hear of another who has 857 in his logbook, and flew the aircraft in anger whilst it was still in military service!

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Cheers,
Duncan
A founding member of "Cludgey" Formation!

gw4frx

WP857 and UWAS
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday November 01, 2006, 23:49:21 UTC »
>She remained at Church Fenton until 29/8/73, when she moved to 6 AEF at Abingdon, before being taken on charge by UWAS on 8/2/74. Remaining at St Athan for only 8 months, she was then moved to Liverpool UAS at Woodvale on 16/10/74.<

Interesting. She seems to have departed UWAS not long after I did. Incidentally I see we also had WG362 from about Apr 74, so we were a six-ship UAS for at least several months.  

>It is great to hear of another who has 857 in his logbook, and flew the aircraft in anger whilst it was still in military service!<

I seem to have flown mostly solo navexes in 857 for some reason although there's one formation sortie in the logbook as well. There's also what looks like a Trapper ride as well.

>Welcome to the forum, and I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!<

Many thanks, and it's already brought back a lot of very happy memories.  

John

Offline Speechless Two

WP857 and UWAS
« Reply #9 on: Thursday November 02, 2006, 14:50:26 UTC »
Duncan - interesting looking through the history of 857 in this thread.  Do you have any information on the letter than she had on the fuselage side during the time I flew her at Linton in 1964, ie before the new colour scheme and the number 24? The letter was positioned just forward of the fuselage roundels, ie "M" was WG474, but I don't have a photo showing what letter 857 had on her.

The reason for asking is that one of my fellow course members at that time emailed from Malaysia when he saw my Fleet Air Arm Officers' Association article which I emailed you recently and whilst he knows he flew 857 he only recorded the letter in his logbook and not the registration.  He was wondering if he might have done his first solo in 857.

Offline Duncan

• Pilot
  • Administrator
    • http://www.caledonianchipmunks.co.uk
WP857 and UWAS
« Reply #10 on: Thursday November 02, 2006, 17:51:26 UTC »
Hi Tony,

Hope all is well with you!

The docs I have for the aircraft show that she wore the coding "N" between 1961 and 1969 whilst at Linton.

Many thanks for the article.  I shall hopefully be putting it on the website with the next update!

Cheers
Duncan
A founding member of "Cludgey" Formation!

Copyright © Caledonian Chipmunks