Caledonian Chipmunks

Author Topic: WP857 History  (Read 6431 times)

stu5748

WP857 History
« on: Thursday September 15, 2005, 15:54:59 UTC »
What is the history of  WP857? I used to be an air cadet attached to 12 AEF at Turnhouse. I was also the first civilian instructor (ground) to be appointed to any AEF in the UK, once again with 12 AEF - this was in about 1981. If my (fading) memory serves me right I'm sure we had this "Chippy" in the squadron. Can anyone clarify?

chipmunkflyer

WP857 History
« Reply #1 on: Thursday September 29, 2005, 23:06:25 UTC »
stu 5748

The aircraft you are thinking about is WZ 857 - see my notes on one of the other forums.

The history card for WP 857 is 12 entries long and I'll post it up in the near future

In the meantime there is a shot at Dishforth or Linton-on-Ouse when she did eight years with No.1 Flying Training School 1961-69 on the photo forum.

Best

Rod

Offline Duncan

• Pilot
  • Administrator
    • http://www.caledonianchipmunks.co.uk
WP857 History
« Reply #2 on: Friday September 30, 2005, 09:40:10 UTC »
Welcome to the Forum Rod, and thanks for the histories you have given us so far!

Do you hold copies of the RAF History cards as well as the fruits of your own research, and how extensive is your current library?  We currently have a thread running HERE for Chipmunk pilots to see where the aircraft they have flown are based now.  Your input would no doubt be invaluable!
A founding member of "Cludgey" Formation!

chipmunkflyer

WP857 History
« Reply #3 on: Friday September 30, 2005, 22:35:00 UTC »
Duncan,

I do have the RAF Museum cards which I had converted from film to CD at great cost plus my own notes from the aircraft history cards which usually have differing dates to those which the Museum were given from Organisation Statistics - my good friend and co-editor Bill Fisher and I obtained Air Min permission to visit all the Chipmunk units in 1964 & 69
so we photographed and recorded an awful lot of information including fuselage numbers and dates from the cockpit plates which has made it a lot easier to identify Chipmunks throughout the World's registers. A lot of this information appeared in the Air Britain Chipmunk-the first fifty years

WP 872 which you flew in is in the USA as N 198DD but it went via Canada as C-GBNI - you should be able to check out the present owner on
http://162.58.35.241/acdatabase/defimg.asp then click on n number and the Canadian side on www.tc.gc.aviation then aircraft register and use the historical section.

The photo and information collections which Bill and I have amassed over the years are truly vast, mine since 1956 and his 1963 but there are still areas where we have little knowledge such as Iraq, Syria, Jordan, Burma etc. although it is surprising whom you meet in my line of work as a CFI and what snippets and photos people has stashed away in their attics.

So hopefully we should see a volume for the 60th. next May.

I will try to answer as many queries as possible but time is limited at the moment.

Talking of fuselage numbers would someone be kind enough to look at the plate on WD 305 in the rear cockpit behind the instructors left shoulder when seated and let me have the DHB/F .... number and the date. If the plate has been painted over try rubbing a soft pencil over a piece of tissue paper and the indentations will show through - bit like brass rubbing only on aeroplanes !!

Best

Rod

Offline Dean Cross

• Pilot
WP857 History
« Reply #4 on: Friday September 30, 2005, 22:41:24 UTC »
Rod,
I will have a look tomorrow,
Declan

Offline Duncan

• Pilot
  • Administrator
    • http://www.caledonianchipmunks.co.uk
WP857 History
« Reply #5 on: Friday September 30, 2005, 22:44:23 UTC »
Rod,

Amazing stuff...your collection must surely be the most definitive out there, even with the omissions!

Thanks for the info on WP872!  It's always nice to hear she is still flying!

Thanks again!!
Duncan
A founding member of "Cludgey" Formation!

Berry Vissers

WP857 History
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday October 05, 2005, 19:45:05 UTC »
Rod,

My 'uncle' has shot pictures of aircraft in Scotland since 1953 (may very well be since 1947). I'm sure there will be Chipmunks in amongst them as well. I will ask him and see what he has, if you are interested.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards, Berry

tedacria

Re: WP857 History
« Reply #7 on: Monday November 21, 2005, 13:54:56 UTC »
Quote from: stu5748
What is the history of  WP857? I used to be an air cadet attached to 12 AEF at Turnhouse. I was also the first civilian instructor (ground) to be appointed to any AEF in the UK, once again with 12 AEF - this was in about 1981. If my (fading) memory serves me right I'm sure we had this "Chippy" in the squadron. Can anyone clarify?

I am intrigued to read this entry as I believe I was the first Chief Ground Instructor both as a Civilian Instructor and then as a Commissioned Officer at 12 AEF Turnhouse in 1968 while Sqn Ldr John Pearson was the Flight Commander.

As regards the aircraft, I remember 857 as being one of the ones at Turnhouse but the letters I cannot confirm from memory

I also still have a surviving Chipmunk Ashtray from 12 AEF and an original cloth badge which was painted on the Chipmunks of 12 AEF

Copyright © Caledonian Chipmunks