Caledonian Chipmunks

Author Topic: Old Chipmunk, New Owner...  (Read 3658 times)

Champdriver

Old Chipmunk, New Owner...
« on: Sunday September 12, 2010, 04:33:03 UTC »
I have just acquired N22DH, a 1953 de Havilland DHC-1, S/N C1-0886.  An English Built Aircraft that flew about 1700 Hours in the UK, before being imported into the United States in May of 1974.  I have been searching for a site that is frequented by owners of Chipmunks, much like the supercub.org Website site does for Supercub lovers.
This site seems to have a good following, and I have already recieved messages for Nigel on a couple of questions I had.   I am looking forward to utilizing this website as I progress on the resurection of my "Chippie".
I hope to have a long and lasting relationship with my new aquisition, As I had with my previous Aeronca Champ.
Thank You, Michael aka "Champdriver"

Offline Nigel Stevens

Re: Old Chipmunk, New Owner...
« Reply #1 on: Sunday September 12, 2010, 10:11:02 UTC »
Hi Michael,
You might find some useful information in several posts in the technical section, it is worth reading through the 'back issues".
Nigel

Champdriver

« Reply #2 on: Monday September 13, 2010, 13:53:24 UTC »
Nigel,
Thank you very much.  On a scale of one to ten, how active are most members of this website?  And is this the Premier Website for Chipmunk activity?  In you honest opinion anyway.
Michael

Offline Nigel Stevens

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday September 14, 2010, 08:55:05 UTC »
Michael,
in my humble opinion......  I'm not sure what you mean by active. ... I'm not aware of another site that is as active as this one, but perhaps some of the 198 members of this site may have been keeping secret the existance of more active sites.
Nigel

Janie

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday September 21, 2010, 19:16:49 UTC »
There are a few Chipmunk folk (owners, operators, engineers) on the Flyer magazine forum:

http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=1

As the psychology of forums is such that nobody tends to respond to newcomers (daft, but true), let me know when you are going to post on Flyer and I will add the first response, in order to get the conversation going.  If that fails, I will email them to alert them to any new question or notification that you post.

It would be best to post here and there simultaneously to lure some more Flyer Chipfolk over to here.

Having just organised 'Chipmunks to Oshkosh', I have got a good network of Chipmunk contacts in the U.S. now.  Some are registered to this forum.  The problem is that, because action is slow on this forum, people do not tend to monitor it so they may not be aware of your 'arrival'.  I have suggested to people that they select the "Notify" option at the top-right of each different forum index page, so that they are automatically informed of any new thread.

I hope this helps. :-)

Janie

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday September 21, 2010, 19:26:56 UTC »
Michael

Do you have a photograph that Dave Harmsworth can add to the Chipmunk Survivors database?

http://www.daveharmsworth.co.uk/pages/chipmunksurvivors.html

Is your Chipmunk flyable right now?

Champdriver

« Reply #6 on: Wednesday September 22, 2010, 00:59:48 UTC »
Thanks for the replies.  I will try to post a couple of photos when I get home form work out of town, should be Home Thursday.  The aircraft is not airworthy at this time, but I think new Engine mounts, and tear down and overhaul  of the landing gear whould have her ready to at least ferry to my home airport.  That is the plan at this time.  I also have a couple of cracks on the nose cowling that I would like to fix, as well.  Like I said, I will try to post a couple of photos, one of the photos I have as a friend that flew Corsairs in WWII, Skyraiders in Korea and recepiant of a flying medal.  That is one of the photos I definately want to have on the web.

Offline Bob

« Reply #7 on: Thursday September 23, 2010, 13:11:40 UTC »
Hi Michael,
Welcome to the Chipmunk world.Two mods I found essential are replace the old Dunlop brakes with Cleveland units (there's an STC) and replace the spark plugs and wires with the REL 37B plugs and modern wires. I'm in the UK but got the wires through Spruce. 8 X 72inch lengths with the correct caps for the REL's and other end cut. We used silicone grease to help thread them thru the loom then attached the cut ends to the mag.

Bob

Copyright © Caledonian Chipmunks